Full Day Package
Tirta Empul Ubud
An inscription dates the founding of a temple at the site to 926 AD. Ever since – for more than a thousand years – the Balinese have come to bathe in the sacred waters for healing and spiritual merit.
The Tirta Empul Temple includes the traditional Balinese split gate along with shrines to Shiva, Vishnu, Braham, Mt. Batur, and Indra. There is also a large open pavilion in the main courtyard, useful for relaxing in the shade.
But the main attraction here is a long rectangular pool carved of stone, filled with koi and fed by the sacred spring via 12 fountains. Worshippers first make an offering at the temple, then climb into the main pool to bathe and pray. Many collect the holy water in bottles to take home. Nearby there are two smaller pools fed by the spring.
Overlooking the temple on a hill above is a suprisingly modern building: the Government Palace, built in 1954. Originally a residence for Dutch officials, it was later used by former President Soekarno during his frequent trips to Bali.
Pura Tirta Empul is located in the village of Tampak Siring, accessible by public transportation from Ubud. The souvenir stands outside the temple specialize in the local craft, carved bone jewelry.
Picture of Tirta Empul Ubud.
- Combinations 1 (Water Sport Dinner)
- Combinations 2 (Water Sport Uluwatu)
- Combinations 3 (Water Sport Ubud)
- Combinations 4 (Bali Safari Uluwatu)
- Combinations 5 (Bali Safari Ubud)
- Combinations 6 (Elephant Ride Ubud)
- Combinations 7 (Rafting Ubud)
- Combination 8 (Bali Bird Park, Ubud)
- Combination 9 (Bali Zoo Ubud)